Wednesday, March 7, 2007

so let's try this again...

So this is my first new "official" post of my sewing blog. I had attempted a few posts late last month, but after re-reading them decided to just start from scratch.

So a little bit about me and my passion. I'm 28 years old and live in Reno, NV. I love to sew. Sewing is my passion. Unfortunately, the last thing I had time to make were kitchen curtains and after doing them I rethought the whole process and changed my mind on kitchen design. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of that project. But here is the story:

My husband and I decided to do a French storefront motif for our kitchen decor and thought it would be fantastic to do the kitchen window valance in a red and white striped awning type of fabric to match the artwork and wallpaper border (I'm NOT a fan of wallpaper, but this border was great and is perfect for my kitchen, so I couldn't resist). The issue was that in Reno there are not an abundance of great fabric stores so I didn't have a lot to choose from for a red/white awning stripe. I decided to paint my own and used 1" masking tape as my guide. I used a dark red fabric paint on muslin but found that I had to paint both sides. Even after pressing, washing and drying, the fabric paint made the fabric so stiff it was hard to sew. It was especially hard to attach the tabs to the top, which I did using 1" red buttons.

They were looking great until I decided to do a black and white toile fabric for the adjacent family room and sliding glass door that sits directly in between the two rooms. It looked TERRIBLE with the red/white stripe. I'm in love with the toile so one had to go - looks like it's back to the drawing board for the valances. I think we've decided to do the black/white toile on all 4 windows and the sliding glass door that make up the kitchen/family room combo. I gave the red/white monstrosity to my mother who loved them. I'll be sure to take photos of my next project :)

Love and pincushions,
Jamie

No comments: