Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I love gift cards!

My birthday was this past Sunday, and one of the gifts I received was a gift card to JoAnn's (much thanks to my wonderful in-laws!). So on the big day I decided to stop by my local store and see if they had anything I couldn't live without. Here is what I found:
2-1/4 yards of this great white cotton/spandex twill with a bold aqua and lime green poppy pattern (I got all that was left on the bolt, and it was on SALE).
I plan on using this to make Simplicity 4698

which I LOVE and found out it just went out of print!!! I plan on modifying View E (is the green and white one in the picture) and putting either the 3/4 sleeves or making a shorter pleated or cap sleeve. I am not sure how I plan on finishing this. The first time I used this pattern I ended up drafting a full lining because I didn't like the partial back lining and lack of sleeve lining. However, because I plan on this being a lightweight summer jacket, I think I may just bind the seams and facing edges and keep it unlined - or just line the front. I haven't really decided how I will finish it, but this one will be an experiment anyway because I have some trim ideas that I plan on playing around with.

I also found 4 yards of this heavenly poly sheer. It is ivory with vines and flower buds in shades of brown, green, mauve and aqua.

I also got the remainder of the bolt on this one (and it was 30% off). The picture doesn't do it justice - you can see that it was folded a few times prior to taking the picture. I plan on making a dress to wear to a wedding in August up at Lake Tahoe. I'm thinking New Look 6557.


I may pair it with a shrug made from the same ivory matte satin used to make my wedding dress - I'll have to make sure I have enough leftover fabric. Otherwise, I may choose a different type of ivory fabric or use one of the other colors from the pattern for a simple shrug (maybe a slightly lighter shade of aqua to brighten it up?). I may also just make a lightweight cardigan-style jacket to wear with it - the weather in the Reno/Tahoe area is so unpredictable.

After stocking up on these two gems, I still have money to buy the remaining notions I may need to finish both pieces! What a great birthday!

1 comment:

L said...

I really like your jacket! I have the same pattern but have been mulling over making it for some time now (almost 2 years). I, like you, am hesitant because I do not know what size to use. After seeing your finished project, I am motivated to get started! Before I do, I would like to ask some questions, if that's ok with you.