Saturday, May 17, 2008

operation wardrobe: episode 1

Although I got the Lucky Shopping Manual for Mother's Day, I didn't have a chance to really read it until today. I read it from cover to cover and it really got me to thinking. I'm an adult!! I realize that I've been an adult for quite some time, but now that I'm a mother, am working on turning my job into a career, preparing for graduate school and am *gasp* quickly approaching 30, I need to have a more adult-looking wardrobe (and I don't mean this in the Nevada brothel sense).

My husband has been getting on me to go through my closet with a fine tooth comb and purge at least half of it. At first I was put off by the idea of getting rid of the clothes in my closet (although 80% of them are "fat" clothes that probably look potato sack-ish if I were to wear them today). After reading the Lucky book, this no longer seems so much of a daunting task. In fact, I am now looking forward to purging everything that no longer fits and re-designing a wardrobe that works for every aspect of my life.

This is going to be a multi-part process.
1. I get rid of anything that is too big.
2. I go through the remaining and pull out those pieces that I just don't like or won't wear and get rid of those.
3. I set aside in one section of the closet the items that work. The remaining items will be put on the other side of my closet. I will get rid of these later, as I know I have very few items that work well for my new lifestyle, but I still need something to wear while I replace them!!
4. I will fill in the gaps with classic pieces first and then worry about trendier pieces after I have a good base wardrobe to work with.

I need dressy work clothes, casual work clothes, play clothes and going out clothes for winter and summer with transitional pieces for fall and spring. I also need a couple of coats in different styles. I know I have some workable pieces that will fit into these categories, but I definitely have a lot of holes. I'm in the process of compiling a list of the basic pieces I need in my wardrobe and a beginning plan of attack to accomplish it.

I need to finish the father/son capsule and then I'll get started. My next post on this topic I will have an update on the closet purge and a preliminary list of what I need to fill out my wardrobe. This is definitely going to take some time to complete the entire process, but I'm sure when I'm done I will never be able to say I have nothing to wear!

2 comments:

Meg said...

But, this is fun work! I usually have to take a break when I find myself keeping more than I had intended to keep. Why do we get so emotionally attached to our clothes???? But, oh what fun it would be to throw out FAT clothes!!! I never miss the things I throw out, though. Never.

Alex said...

I just wanted to say that the wardrobe for hubby and son is so cute. I can't wait to see the finished project!