Thursday, April 24, 2008

Simplicity and a Hot Pattern

Before I get started on my latest projects, I have some exciting news (well, at least for me)...I can wear my SKINNY JEANS again!!!!! This is a big day for me. I still have the little baby bulge that is getting smaller and smaller as time passes, but it was super exciting that I'm now back down to the size I was before I got pregnant...

Now back to our regularly scheduled program!

I've made two skirts and a top this week. I have a whole pile of projects on the table waiting to be cut out, but I have a project due next week for school so in the meantime I'm going to show you one of the skirts and the top.
Up first...Simplicity 4076. I've made the scoop neck version three times now and the wrap version once. I really love both, but the scoop neck has become my TNT t-shirt. It's very flattering and looks great on me. I made it from some white cotton lycra jersey that I got from Timmel Fabrics.

I didn't feel like taking off my PJs to get a picture of me in the top, so you'll have to make do with my unnamed dressform. I added 3" to the length because I like it a little bit longer - especially now with my little bit of baby bulge. I also made a couple of changes specifically to this iteration: I widened the neckband by 1/4". I also redrafted the sleeves, adding some gathers at the cap and a band at the hem. Here is a closeup of the sleeve:

Pattern Review can be found here.

Now for the skirt, I did make another Simplicity 3881, which is my absolute favorite skirt. I'll show that in another post. Today, I'm going to show you my Hot Patterns Denim Diva Flirty Skirt. This was made with some awesomely gorgeous darkwash denim that I got from Gorgeous Fabrics.

I have to say this skirt is awesome. The only modification I made was to take in the side seams a little since my hips aren't as curvy as the pattern was made for. I shortened it by 6" after it was finished because the pattern says it is supposed to hit just at the knee and that's how much I needed to take off to achieve that look. The hem is still pinned up because I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to hem it yet. I did double rows of topstitching in white thread - since I couldn't find any white topstitching thread at Joann's and didn't want to drive across town to Hancock for thread, I used two strands of regular white thread in the needle. I really like how it turned out. I definitely plan on making this again, but next time in a drapier fabric that will allow the A-line to hang a little more relaxed. The pattern review for the skirt can be found here.

Next time I'll show you my 3rd iteration of the Simplicity 3881 skirt!

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

I love that simplicity top! It's my TNT as well! VERY cute skirt!