Thursday, January 15, 2009

knitty knitty

A post all about knitting?? Who would've thunk it, especially since I can barely knit. I crochet like a madwoman and understand the basics of knitting, but I just haven't spent enough time practicing knitting to be good at it. I was remarking to my mom this past weekend (who is a great knitter) that I really need to learn how to knit. I see so many wonderful garments being knitted by other fiber artists that I really want to be able to "join the club" so to speak. She then asked me if I would like her knitting machine. Oh.My.GOODNESS!! I couldn't believe she still had it!!! It's bulky, heavy and you have to do everything manually, but it can knit ANYTHING and it's older than me (which means no cheap plastic construction - everything is sturdy metal). She still has the original bill of sale when my grandparents bought it back in the 60s for $50. I've always wanted to learn how to use it and now I get my chance!!!

I definitely still need/want to learn how to knit by hand with more skill, but this knitting machine is going to be FUN!!! The only downside is I get stuck with her entire stash of yarn...most of which is in ugly colors and scratchy acrylic. Oh well, it'll be good yarn to practice with!

No comments: