Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2009 wardrobe makeover

This is my biggest goal for 2009 - to begin the process of making over my wardrobe. Last summer, when I went through my closet and donated 3 10-gallon totes of clothes, I determined some major holes in my wardrobe. I have enough clothes to get me through a couple of weeks, but most of them are casual.

These holes include slacks, woven tops, work dresses and skirts, some dressy knit tops, blazers, a winter coat and spring/fall jacket. Since my other big goal for 2009 is to dress for the job I want, not the job I have, I need to fill in the gaps with some dressy basics that I can use to build a professional wardrobe. My professional-dress goal comes with some inherent problems, though:
1) My workplace is extremely casual. While it's not unheard of for people to dress up, most of the time coworkers assume you have a job interview. This is definitely problematic if your boss thinks you are seeking employment elsewhere.
2) I don't have the time or money to immediately create this ultra-professional wardrobe.

Because of these two "issues" (and I use the term loosely, since I can easily overcome the first one), I have decided to approach this in phases. The initial plan is to phase out my casual items by incorporating versatile pieces that can be dressed up or down. By starting with versatile transition pieces, I can eliminate some of the job interview talk that floats around the office. I can also continue to wear some of my casual items with dressier items until I have made a bigger dent in my list of "needs".

My first mini-wardrobe will consist of two pairs of slacks (I need to try out some muslins to find a pair that work for my figure) and two woven tops. I should have a plan fleshed out by this weekend and hopefully my first pants muslin cut out.

No comments: