Friday, November 21, 2008

off to a good start

Since I had decided on the Galaxy-inspired Vogue dress for my upcoming company holiday party, I needed to make sure that the style would suit me. Tuesday after work I made my first mock-up. I need to make a few tweaks to the length of the bodice and the flanges, I'm also going to raise the neckline by 1". I don't like the straight skirt on my figure, so I am going to play around with some other skirt options.

Next was the task of finding fabric. I knew I wanted a dark blue of some sort, but couldn't make up my mind as to the exact type of fabric I wanted. I went back and forth over several choices (tafetta, a satin microfiber, stretch satin, wool) and because I want something more versatile than a party dress typically is, I decided on this wool crepe from Vogue Fabrics


I ordered it late in the afternoon last Friday and it arrived yesterday. It is an even prettier color than the picture suggests - darker and with more of an aqua hue. It's stunning. Tonight I'm going to play around with pre-treatment options.

Tomorrow, my mom is coming to Reno for the day and I hope to get the rest of my fitting tweaks onto paper so I can get started. My goal is to have the dress completed over the 4-day Thanksgiving holiday.

For jewelry, I've enlisted the assistance of a coworker. While I love making jewelry, I just don't have the time with all of the other projects I have lined up for the holidays. My inspiration was this necklace from White House | Black Market:

There are going to be an assortment of black, dark grey, light grey and clear Swarovski and Czech crystals and glass pearls. So the necklace and earrings are taken care of.

Now for the remaining accessories...I still need to decide on shoes and a belt. I have time, the party isn't for 3 weeks and I have some black patent pumps that I could wear if all else fails.

No comments: